Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Missing: National Soul. Last seen prior to Sept. 11, 2001

Well, I'm glad we've got this confusion all sorted out:
"The United States does not engage in torture. We do use enhanced interrogation techniques," McConnell said.
"Enhanced interrogation techniques." Thank heavens -- now I can rest easy, knowing America's moral authority is intact, and that we're not really doing anything nasty...
Waterboarding has been condemned internationally as a form of illegal torture, and McConnell was quoted in the current issue of The New Yorker magazine as saying he would consider the practice torture if it were applied to him.
One would think McConnell, being National Intelligence Director, would be in a position to know what's torture and what isn't. Which is why we don't engage in waterboarding, of course. Right? Right! We're above all of that...
In late 2005, the retiring CIA station chief in Bangkok sent a classified cable to his superiors in Langley asking if he could destroy videotapes recorded at a secret CIA prison in Thailand that in part portrayed intelligence officers using simulated drowning to extract information from suspected al-Qaeda members.
I'm sorry I'm not being snarkily amusing, or amusingly snarky. But it's hard to do when you're literally begging for the powers that be in your country to wake up from their collective testosterone-laden Jack Bauer delusions while simultaneously vomiting in disgust at the hideousness those delusions have wrought.

That much multitasking is beyond me at the moment.

No comments: